Adopt a School
Since 2009, first as Relate Community Care and then as City Dream Centre we have worked with Surrey's inner city schools and helped others in the community to get involved, providing support to more than 6000 kids and their families every year, many of whom are living below the poverty line.
Working closely with teachers, school administrators and the Surrey School Board, we have developed a comprehensive program that takes into account the specific needs of each school to ensure they are supported in the best way possible, and connects them with a church or organization as their 'Adopter" who will be their regular contact. With the continued support of community members like yourself, we are able to run the following year round initiatives:
- Food Hampers: More than 900 food and produce hampers are distributed each year, in June, August and December, to families who are in need. We welcome parents to request this support through their school.
- Nutrition Support: At some of our Adopted Schools a weekly program is offered for families who regularly do not have food to last over the weekend. Working closely with the schools to support those in need, the CDC and that school's adopting organization, provide a hamper of food for each identified family every Friday. Our goal is to expand this program to include more schools as it has been very successful and is frequently requested.
- Christmas Project: For the past 7 years, thousands of gifts have been packaged, wrapped and distribute to every child within 7 schools across the Surrey area. Currently we distribute over 3,000 gifts each year and hope to grow! Learn more.
- Girls Club and Boys Club Noon Hour Programs: A team of volunteers hosts weekly Girls and Boys Club noon hour sessions, bringing fun activities to engage at risk youth, equipping them against the danger of gangs and traffickers. Sessions are designed to help kids learn about courage, strength, confidence and their own value.
- Back to School Support: We host a family fun barbecue lunch every August, with food provided by Maple Leaf Foods. Over 1,500 attendees enjoy a variety of activities and support as they get their kids ready for the new school year. There are free kids haircuts, free new and used clothing, manicures for mom, a kid’s activity area, produce hampers and an astonishing 1000 backpacks full of school supplies are given away.
Keep an eye on our Upcoming Events page.
If your organization has already adopted a school with us, our Adopter's Login Page has information and resource material for you. If your organization is interested in adopting a school, we'd love to hear from you. Please email us at email@example.com